Your wardrobe shouldn’t be the only thing that changes with the seasons. As summer turns to fall and fall into winter, and—well, you get the idea—your skin care routine needs a change as well. Keep reading to discover how to transition your skin care routine as the seasons change.
The Importance of Transitioning Your Skin Care Routine
As the weather warms and cools throughout the year, the humidity levels in the air fluctuate as well. With lower humidity—typically what we experience during the cold winter months—our skin’s moisture levels can plummet and dryness and a dull skin tone can set in. This is why rich moisturizers are key during the fall and winter seasons. With increased humidity—hello, summer—we may notice an increase in oil production and shine. This is when it’s best to switch to lightweight moisturizers and gel-based cleansers. Transitioning your skin care routine with each season helps you to customize your regimen in order to target the specific skin care concerns that may arise during that time of year.
Skin Care Routine Constants
Before we get into the seasonal changes you’ll make, it’s important to point out the aspects of your skin care routine that will always stay the same. No matter what time of year it may be—if the sun is shining bright or hiding behind a few snowy clouds—these are the skin care routine constants:
1. Broad-spectrum Sunscreen: Applied liberally and often, broad-spectrum SPF of 30 or more is your first line of defense against skin damaging UV rays. Look for formulas that are lightweight and can easily be worn under makeup so you’ll never have an excuse to skip an application in the morning. Try Ideal Capital Soleil SPF 50, an ultra-light daily sunscreen formulated with antioxidants to also help neutralize free radical damage.
2. Mineralizing Thermal Water: Just as you wouldn’t go a day without drinking H2O, don’t go a day without using a mineralizing thermal water spray—a favorite in France! Vichy’s Mineralizing Thermal Water is rich in 15 essential minerals so it not only refreshes the skin, it helps to strengthen it against external aggressors as well!
3. Eye Cream: Whether you have dark circles, puffiness, or a few fine lines, using an eye cream is a necessary step in your skin care routine all year round. Find a formula that helps to target your specific eye contour concerns and use it day and night.
4. Masks: Face masks allow you to give yourself a spa-like facial in the comfort of your home. With Vichy’s mineral masks you can incorporate a weekly multi-masking routine into your schedule. Alternate between the Pore Purifying Clay Mask formulated with kaolin and bentonite clays, the exfoliating Double Glow Peel Face Mask formulated with volcanic rock and alpha-hydroxy acids, and the hydrating Quenching Mineral Face Mask formulated with rare minerals and vitamin B3.
5. Moisturizers: Whether you have dry skin in the winter, oily skin when the humidity sky rockets, or normal skin year-round, the one thing your skin care routine needs is a hydrating moisturizer. By failing to moisturize your skin you may risk stripping your complexion of necessary hydration, which can cause everything from an overproduction of oil if it feels dehydrated or dry, dead skin cell buildup on skin’s surface.
Now that you know your constants, it’s time to discover the things you’ll change.
Transitioning Summer into Fall Skin Care (and Winter, Too!)
As the warm weather makes way for chillier temperatures, lower humidity, and pumpkin-flavored everything, your skin care needs an upgrade as well. Now is the time to pack away the lightweight formulas in favor of more emollient products focused on hydration and to find ways to combat visible evidence of any sun damage that may have occurred over the summer. The best part, most of the skin care routine changes you’ll make for the fall will last you through winter as well!
Step 1: Cleanse
In the colder seasons you’ll want to focus on hydration since the low-humidity climate during this time of year can dry out skin and the best place to start is with the first step of your skin care routine: cleansing. Switch out water-based cleansers for creamy milk-like formulas like Pureté Thermale 3-in-1 One Step Cleanser. This triple-duty cleanser purifies the skin’s surface, tones, and acts as an eye makeup remover—yes, it’s that gentle! The paraben-free formula is enriched with Captelae—a shea butter extract—and Vichy’s exclusive mineralizing thermal water from the French volcanoes and can leaves skin feeling fresh, soft, and smooth which is perfect during the colder months.
Step 2: Serum
Since hydration is the name of the game when it comes to fall and winter skin care, introduce a hydrating skin care serum into your routine between cleansing and moisturizing. For intense hydration, reach for Aqualia Thermal Dynamic Hydration Power Serum. It’s suitable for even combination skin types and offers moisture without a sticky, greasy finish.
Step 3: Moisturize
If you have a tendency to get dry skin in the colder seasons, after using a serum, lock in that hydration with a rich moisturizer like Aqualia Thermal Dynamic Hydration Rich Cream. With its Dynamic Hydration technology, it helps to distribute and lock water in all facial zones for long-lasting hydration and comfort.
Transitioning Winter into Spring & Summer Skin Care
Just like fall skin care changes will last you through winter, transitioning your winter skin care routine for spring lasts through summer! While hydration still stays top on mind as the cold weather transitions to the steamier seasons, it’s now about lightweight, water-based moisture.
Step 1: Cleanser
Pack the rich cleansers away with your winter sweaters and reach for light—yet effective—cleansing solutions like micellar water. These no-rinse cleansers are must-haves for French women everywhere and thankfully one of their most beloved formulas is available Stateside. Vichy’s Pureté Thermale 3-in-1 One Step Solution is a refreshing micellar water—formulated with cornflower extract and pro-vitamin B5—that helps to remove makeup and other impurities on the skin’s surface.
Step 2: Serum
As the weather warms it’s only natural that we embrace more of an outdoor lifestyle—and by outdoor we mean rooftop margaritas and dining al fresco. Thankfully, Idealia Life Serum helps to counteract the visible effects those activities can have on our skin. Formulated to combat behavioral aging—that is, aging caused by lifestyle choices and not the hands of time—the serum helps to illuminate the appearance of your skin tone and refine the look of pores, while giving your complexion a boost of hydration.
Step 3: Moisturizer
Think moisturizer was so last season? Think again. In the warmer months, hydration is just as paramount as it was before, but lightweight formulas begin to reign supreme. Look for gel- and water-based moisturizers like Aqualia Thermal Mineral Water Gel. This ultra-light and cooling moisturizer is infused Vichy’s Mineralizing Thermal Water, hyaluronic acid and Aquabioryl—to help protect against moisture loss.
Now, if only transitioning our wardrobe was this simple!